Hugh Lane

  • Print

Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane is called after the art collector Hugh Lane, who was born in Cork in 1875. His aunt was Lady Augusta Gregory, a leading figure in the Irish Celtic Revival. Hugh Lane loved art and he bought and sold paintings in London. He felt that there should be a Gallery of Modern Art in Dublin representing the best of Irish and International artists. Together with his friends, Lane established the Municipal Gallery of Modern Art in Clonmell Harcourt Street, Dublin in 1908.

Later in 1933 the Gallery moved to Charlemont House in Parnell Square where it is today. Lane bought many of the paintings that are in the Gallery’s collection and he also wrote to artists asking them to donate works to the Gallery. However, in 1915 Hugh Lane died at the young age of 39. The ship, the Lusitania, on which he was travelling coming back from a visit to America was torpedoed by a German U-boat during WWI and sunk.