Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane first opened its doors in Clonmell House, Harcourt Street, on 20 January 1908. It was known as The Municipal Gallery of Modern Art and presented an acclaimed collection brought together by Hugh Lane and his supporters. 'Hugh Lane 100 Years' features a significant selection drawn from the 300 paintings, sculpture and works on paper shown when the gallery first opened along with additional works that illuminate the story of the founding of the Gallery.
'Hugh Lane 100 Years' is a highlight of the Hugh Lane centenary celebrations, exhibiting the entire collection of 39 paintings known as the Hugh Lane Bequest of 1917. On loan from the National Gallery, London, this will be the first time the collection has been exhibited in Dublin since they were removed from Clonmell House in 1913.
The 39 paintings include works by Edouard Manet, Claude Monet, Berthe Morisot and Pierre-Auguste Renoir. In addition to the works from the Hugh Lane 1917 Bequest, the exhibition presents work by key Irish and international artists including William Orpen, Nathaniel Hone, George Russell, Antonio Mancini, John Singer Sargent, J.B.C. Corot and Auguste Rodin.
A book illustrating the 39 Continental pictures is now available. A publication celebrating the centenary of Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane will be published by Scala in September.
'Hugh Lane 100 Years' is supported by Investec, The Irish Times and The Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism. The Gallery's 2008-9 conservation internship is co-funded by The Heritage Council / An Chomhairle Oidhreachta.